invite you to enter to win "The Ray"
A limited edition solid ebony wood automatic mechanical watch*
A $450 (USD) value!
The Ray Product Page Link
CONGRATULATIONS DAVID GLICKSMAN, OUR WINNER!!!
Enter to win "The Ray" wristwatch by submitting your
name and email on the form below...
Watchismo will be selecting a winner at random
and will be announced here on December 21, 2009.
And a special bonus for all BoingBoing readers once you enter, you'll receive a
customized discount code your holiday orders with Watchismo.com.
Once you enter at the bottom of this page, the landing page will reveal the discount code.**
*Shipping worldwide is included with the prize - Any taxes or customs due is the responsibility of the winner (should they be located outside the US)
ABOUT THE RAY:
Introducing the World's first eco-friendly timepiece, a hand-built watch that has been designed to not only be built from recyclable materials but also do so with a minimal carbon footprint.
- Only 1,000 individually numbered watches produced worldwide.
- Real ebony wood sourced from sustainable managed forests, which means that for every tree used another is planted. The case and links are from solid chunks of wood, not laminate!
- This wood was chosen for its high density and durable characteristics.100% recyclable anti-allergy 316L stainless steel 100% recyclable aluminum 100% recyclable mineral crystal 100% solvent free links, 27 jewel, stainless steel and brass automatic movement.
- An automatic movement watch needs no batteries, which reduces waste and extends the life of the product. A traditional battery operated movement has a life of 18 months compared to a never-ending automatic mechanical movement's lifespan.
Eco-Design Strategy – The concept of eco-design is to reduce impact to the global environment throughout every stage of development. This process begins during the early stages of design and continues throughout the entire life-cycle of the product.
Quiksilver does this by using sea shipping rather than airplanes and also optimized the watch's packaging which has saved 30% of CO2 emissions. The hand-built watch itself is constructed from wood, stainless steel, aluminum, mineral glass and features a 27 jewel automatic movement - all of which is 86% recyclable. Available in a limited run of 1000 pieces. Each of which is signed and numbered from that series.
Click here for the owner's manual and further detail of the functions of the watch-->LINK
Materials – A selection of low-impact and renewable materials were used to design The Ray:
* Real ebony wood sourced from sustainable managed forests, which means that for every tree used another is planted. This wood was chosen for its high density and durable characteristics.
* 100% recyclable anti-allergy 316L stainless steel.
* 100% recyclable aluminum.
* 100% recyclable mineral crystal.
* 100% solvent free links.
* 27 jewel, stainless steel and brass automatic movement. An automatic movement needs no batteries, which reduces waste and extends the life of the product.
Guide to telling time on The Ray
Manufacturing – The Ray requires approximately 7 months production time compared to 4 months for traditionally manufactured watches. This is due to the fact that the majority of the watch’s components are produced and adjusted by hand. This process reduces the amount of energy and oil consumed in the manufacturing process. The watch is then assembled entirely by hand in Quiksilver’s factories. All these factories are audited to guarantee good working conditions and respect for social and environmental legislation.
Packaging – The Ray is delivered in a recycled cardboard package. The packaging is optimized to use 30% less material. In addition, Quiksilver has eliminated the plastic C-clip stand, films, water-based inks and embossing traditionally used in watch packaging.
Pssst...there is another watch giveaway for our Fans on Facebook,
look for the three free Phosphor watch promotion!
*Entering also registers you to receive our infrequent newsletters. We promise we will never share your information with anyone else!
*One entry allowed per person
*Multiple submissions of the same email address will immediately void your entry to The Ray giveaway
**Discount not valid on previously placed orders
**Discount code not valid with any other offers.
**BoingBoing discount code is valid from November 30th 2009 through December 31st 2009
**Not applicable to orders prior to November 30th 2009
**Cannot be combined with other offers and/or coupons.
**All other terms & conditions are applicable as stated here: Terms and Conditions
**Valid on in-stock items only. Items may ship separately. Offer subject to change.
The discount code will be revealed here once you submit your entry.
(if you have this page open longer than a few minutes, you will need to refresh for a new security code)